Friday, June 08, 2012

Day 13 - Bletchley Park and Warwick

We arose to a crisp, windy morning - quintessentially British, I believe. After grabbing breakfast, we hit a few more shops in Cambridge then jumped in the car destined for Bletchley Park. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know the first thing about this place. In fact, until last night, I thought we were going to see gardens. However, this secret spot played a crucial role in the defeat of Nazi Germany. It's the place where the British codebreakers worked to decrypt German Enigma messages. It's also the place where Alan Turing built the world's first computer. Even after touring the facility (think wartime above-ground bunkers), I still don't have a full appreciation for it. Everyone else in my group did. I think my lack of excitement may be because WWII doesn't old hold a huge interest for me. Still, it was certainly good to visit such a place of pivotal history.

We next headed to Warwick Castle which I discovered is a weird, but cool place. We arrived at 3:30 as luck would have it as that's when tickets go on sale for about half off. Warwick Castle is a 14th century structure that was actively lived in until the early 20th century. It's been Disney-fied a bit, but the castle still remains mostly intact. Essentially what they've done is taken this old castle and made it entertaining for the entire family. Each section also provides insight into the various time periods the castle was used: 14th, 17th, 19th, and 20th centuries. At 4:30 we walked out to the open fields behind the castle and saw a recreated trebuchet shoot a huge rock into the air and watch it fly for several hundred feet. We also climbed the tower and ramparts to get some great views of the surrounding countryside.

Onto Leamington Spa where we are staying for the next two nights. Our B&B owner recommended an Italian restaurant down the road and I must say it was the most extraordinary Italian food I've ever eaten. I had cannelloni and oh my! Cafe Prego in Little Rock makes great cannelloni, but this place made Cafe Prego taste like Chef Boyardee. After dinner, Dianne and I walked down to Jephson Gardens, which is a public park and gardens in the middle of town. Jephson Gardens is where my great-grandfather Clarke worked around the turn of the century and it's his work here that attracted the attention of the US Dept of Agriculture who convinced my g-grandfather to go to America. The gardens were amazing and I hope to get some great shots tomorrow. I have to say it was odd to be standing in the same place "Papa" Clarke used to work.

Tomorrow I meet a distant cousin who will show me the home where my 2nd great-grandfather lived and the church where all the Clarkes were baptized, married, and buried.

Cheers from blustery England!

 

No comments:

Creative Commons License This work by Chris Odom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.