Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Day 11 - Sherwood Forest and Cambridge

We had a big driving day today as we went from the western to eastern side of England. After leaving the spa city of Buxton (think of a smaller Hot Springs), we drove to THE Sherwood Forest. While there were no Robin Hood sightings, we did walk to and view the Major Oak which is purported to have offered Mr. ood shelter. The tree is 800-1000 years old and is so big that it has support structures holding up the bigger branches.

We lunched at "services" which is essentially a rest stop in the middle of a motorway (interstate). It's nothing like what we have in the States as this is real food served on china. We arrived in Cambridge at about 4:00 and started walking around. I feel myself getting smarter, and realizing how ignorant I am, just being here! Dianne and I got in the queue (line) at 5:00 for the Evensong service at King's College Chapel. Tonight's service included an opening and closing hymn as this is a "festal" day. I'd seen images of the chapel before, but nothing prepared me for the amazing site I saw tonight. I'm not sure words can really express what it looked like. I couldn't take pics tonight, but will tomorrow. The service was truly amazing and I'm still absorbing, digesting, and reveling in it. Certainly it was a high point of my life (truly).

After the service, we all walked up the river a bit and had a wonderful steak dinner in honor of Paul and Dianne's 43rd anniversary tomorrow, and because we just really wanted steak!

Sorry for the lack of pictures today, but we were mainly in the car.

Cheers!

 

No comments:

Creative Commons License This work by Chris Odom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.