Saturday, April 14, 2018

Day 2 - Seattle

Our first full day in Seattle began with an amazing breakfast cooked up by our inn host, Melanie.  It was enough food to energize anyone.  We then made our way to Seattle Center, which is the area around and including the Space Needle, which was designed for the 1962 World's Fair.  We walked past the home of the Pacific Northwest Ballet, the Seattle Children's Museum, an outdoor fountain which danced to music, and made our way to the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit.  The exhibit opened in 2012 and showcases the artwork of Dale Chihuly who was born in nearby Tacoma.  I've not been a huge fan of his work (I certainly appreciate it), but getting to see it up close really does make you wonder how he originally came with the ideas that led to the pieces.  The exhibit has an indoor art gallery feature, but there is also an outdoor garden which has his artwork intermingled with flowers, shrubs, and trees.  I found this to be the most beautiful as nature and art intertwined.











Wanting to return to Pike Place Market during the day, we hopped aboard the Alweg monorail (also built for the World's Fair) and were soon passing Amazon's headquarters on our way to the Westlake station.  What trip to Seattle would be complete without a stop to Starbucks?  After refueling on some treats and drinks, we headed downhill to the market.  It did NOT disappoint as the entire east side was full of local farms selling bouquets of tulips, daffodils, peony tulips, sprigs of quince, and more.  Bouquets were available for $10, $15, and $20 or you could buy individual tulips and daffodils for $1.50 each.  Between whiffs of fresh seafood (being sold on the west side), we would get wafts of fragrant blossoms that instantly made me forget the gray mist outside and think about a great sunny Spring day.  I'm happy to report that I picked up a $10 bouquet which now adorns my bedside table.






As we headed back to the monorail station, I ducked into a local outlet of Goorin Bros.  This is a national, but small, chain that makes and sells hats of all sorts.  Today I felt the need to pick up a new flat cap that will be perfect for Arkansas this late Spring and Summer.  Once back at Seattle Center, we made our way to the car and returned to our inn.  Carolyn had the first session of her conference tonight and needed to prepare. 

A short time later, we zipped north to the University of Washington's Center for Urban Horticulture, the conference location.  After dropping her off, I made my way to a nearby Italian restaurant, Mama Melina.  It was 6:00 Friday night and the place was hopping; good thing I made a reservation for one!  Eating at a nice restaurant by yourself is always a little odd as you don't have anyone to talk to, but you can easily listen in on other conversations (for better and for worse).  You can also read/look at your phone without offending anyone!

After dinner, I texted with folks back home as severe weather and tornadoes were moving through the area.  I stopped in a Safeway parking lot just to be able to pull up a radar and offer my weather advice.  I ended up driving to Golden Gardens park which has a beach on Puget Sound.  It offered some great views of the Sound although it was too cloudy to have a great sunset.



The Seattle Mariners team store in Bellevue was my next stop, where I hoped to procure some gifts.  The store is located in Bellevue Square shopping center which is home to an Amazon book store, Macy's, Nordstrom's, a Tesla dealership and more!  Happy with my purchases, it was time to pick up Carolyn. 



A great first full day in the Pacific Northwest.  No sun today, but no soaking rains either.  I'll call that a win!

No comments:

Creative Commons License This work by Chris Odom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.